Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

August 17, 2026

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m
  • NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’
  • NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos
  • NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy
  • NCAA to Automate Baggage Tracking to Eliminate Missing Luggage, Delays
  • Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC
  • President Tinubu congratulates Gov Adeleke, says victory reflects people’s will
  • FG Unveils Mechanization Policy, Targets 4,000 Tractors Annually
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»World»Australia adds YouTube to World-First social ban for children under 16
World

Australia adds YouTube to World-First social ban for children under 16

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaJuly 30, 2025Updated:July 30, 2025No Comments4 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

YouTube will be included in Australia’s world-first social media ban for children under 16, after the government ditched a previous exemption for the platform.

The video sharing site was set to be excluded from the ban – which will limit TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, X and Snapchat and is due to start in December.

Under the ban, teenagers will still be able to view YouTube videos but will not be permitted to have an account, which is required for uploading content or interacting on the platform.

YouTube – owned by Google – had argued it shouldn’t be blocked for children as the platform “offers benefit and value to younger Australians”: “It’s not social media,” it said in statement on Wednesday.

Australia’s laws are being watched with great interest by global leaders, with Norway announcing a similar ban and the UK saying it is considering following suit.

“Social media is doing social harm to our children, and I want Australian parents to know that we have their backs,” Prime Minister Anthony Albanese told media on Wednesday.

“We know that this is not the only solution,” he said of the ban, “but it will make a difference.”

Australia’s eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant last month recommended YouTube be added to the ban as it was “the most frequently cited platform” where children aged 10 to 15 years saw “harmful content”.

After Wednesday’s announcement, a spokesperson from YouTube said it will “consider next steps” and “continue to engage” with the government.

Last week, several Australian media outlets had reported that Google was threatening to sue the government if YouTube was included in the ban, arguing it would restrict political freedom.

Federal Communications Minister Anika Wells said that while there is a place for social media, “there’s not a place for predatory algorithms targeting children”.

She described trying to protect children from the harms of the internet as “like trying to teach your kids to swim in the open ocean with the rips and the sharks compared to at the local council pool”.

“We can’t control the ocean but we can police the sharks and that is why we will not be intimidated by legal threats when this is a genuine fight for the wellbeing of Australian kids,” she said.

Exclusions to the ban will include “online gaming, messaging, education and health apps” as they “pose fewer social media harms to under 16s”, Wells said.

Under the ban, tech companies can fined up to A$50m ($32.5m; £25.7m) if they don’t comply with the age restrictions. They will need to deactivate existing accounts and prohibit any new accounts, as well as stopping any work arounds and correcting errors.

More details of how the new ban will work are due to be presented to federal parliament on Wednesday

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC

August 16, 2026

Nationals of 4 African countries in US face deportation risk as Trump ends temporary protection

August 16, 2026

China pledges N40bn grant for Devt projects in Nigeria

August 14, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202551
Don't Miss
Health
Health By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20262 Mins Read1

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20261 Health Updated:August 17, 202602 Mins Read

The European Commission has released €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the…

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026

NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy

August 17, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

August 17, 2026

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.