Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

August 17, 2026

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m
  • NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’
  • NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos
  • NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy
  • NCAA to Automate Baggage Tracking to Eliminate Missing Luggage, Delays
  • Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC
  • President Tinubu congratulates Gov Adeleke, says victory reflects people’s will
  • FG Unveils Mechanization Policy, Targets 4,000 Tractors Annually
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»World»U.S. military strikes targets in southern Iran, citing ‘threats posed by Iranian forces’
World

U.S. military strikes targets in southern Iran, citing ‘threats posed by Iranian forces’

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaMay 26, 2026Updated:May 26, 2026No Comments13 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The U.S. military carried out strikes in southern Iran Monday against ​targets including boats attempting ​to lay mines and missile ​launch sites, in ⁠what it ⁠described ‌as defensive actions.

U.S. Central Command said in ⁠a statement the strikes were designed “to protect ‌our troops from threats posed by Iranian forces.”

“U.S. Central ​Command continues ⁠to defend our ⁠forces while using restraint ⁠during ⁠the ​ongoing ceasefire,” said Navy ​Captain Tim ⁠Hawkins, a Central Command spokesperson.

The strikes came hours after Iran and the United States played down hopes for an imminent breakthrough in the three-month-old war, and U.S. President Donald Trump called on several countries to join the U.S.-led Abraham Accords as part of ​an effort to reach a deal with Iran.

In a Monday morning Truth Social post, Trump said negotiations with Iran were “proceeding nicely” but gave no indication a deal was imminent, describing the process as a “very complex puzzle.”

Trump added that he spoke to the leaders of Qatar, Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan and Turkey on Saturday and that “it should be mandatory” that those countries sign on to the Abraham Accords to normalize relations with Israel, given the effort Washington has put into trying to end the nearly three-month long war.

Signing on would “bring true Power, Strength, and Peace to the Middle East,” Trump argued.

Trump said he also spoke to the leaders of Saudi Arabia and Bahrain, who’ve previously agreed to the accords.

The linking of a permanent ceasefire to the accords was previewed this weekend by Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and other Trump-supporting U.S. officials.

“To Saudi Arabia and others: Now is the time to be bold for the future of a new Middle East. I expect, as President Trump has suggested, you will in fact join the Abraham Accords effectively ending the Arab-Israeli conflict,” Graham posted on social media.

“If you refuse to go down this path as suggested by President Trump, it will have severe repercussions for our future relationships and make this peace proposal unacceptable.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Trump’s post. Netanyahu said on Sunday that he and Trump agreed that any final agreement with Iran must remove the nuclear threat posed by Tehran, including dismantling Iran’s nuclear enrichment facilities and removing enriched nuclear material from its territory.

Nuclear issues not being discussed, Iran says

Earlier, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters in New Delhi that the U.S. would give diplomacy every chance to succeed before exploring “alternatives,” after Trump said on Sunday that he had told his representatives not to rush into any Iran deal.

There was a “pretty solid thing on the table in terms of their ability to open up the [Strait of Hormuz], get the strait open, enter into a very real, significant, time-limited negotiation on the nuclear matter, and hopefully we can pull it off,” Rubio said.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said on Monday that Iran was negotiating an end to the war and was not currently discussing nuclear issues.

The spokesperson added that a framework had been reached but no one could say an agreement between the United States and Iran was imminent.

The potential memorandum of understanding contained no specific details about the management of the Strait of Hormuz, which belongs to the coastal countries, he said.

Trump raised expectations of an imminent deal on Saturday when he said Washington and Tehran had “largely negotiated” a memorandum of understanding on a peace agreement that would reopen the strait.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson said on Monday that Iran would not take tolls for passage through the vital waterway, but added that it was “normal for services provided to require a price.”

Before the conflict, the strait had carried a fifth of global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas.

A large cargo ship sails on the sea.
Idemitsu Kosan’s crude oil tanker Idemitsu Maru became the first crude oil tanker bound for Japan to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, which remains under blockade, on Monday. (The Asahi Shimbun/Getty Images)

The two sides remain at odds on several difficult issues, such as Iran’s nuclear ambitions, Israel’s war in Lebanon with the Iranian-backed Hezbollah militia and Tehran’s demands for the lifting of sanctions and the release of tens of billions of dollars of Iranian oil revenues frozen in foreign banks.

Tehran has also demanded a halt to all Israeli attacks in Lebanon as a condition in talks with the U.S. aimed at ending the broader war.

But Netanyahu said he and Trump agreed in a weekend phone call that Israel would retain the ​right to confront perceived threats on all fronts, including Lebanon.

Netanyahu doubled down on that message on Monday ​night, saying in a video released on Telegram: “We are at war with Hezbollah, and we will intensify our strikes.”

He said Israel’s military was not taking its “foot off the gas. On the contrary, I said to step on the gas even more.”

Tenuous ceasefire

Iran has long denied U.S. and Israeli accusations that it is pursuing nuclear weapons and says it has a right to enrich uranium for civilian purposes, although the purity it has achieved far exceeds that needed for power generation.

Trump, whose approval ratings have been hit by the war’s impact on U.S. energy prices, and who has faced congressional efforts to curb his war powers, has repeatedly played up the prospect of a deal to end the conflict started by the U.S. and Israel on Feb. 28.

A tenuous ceasefire has held since early April.

Any deal reinforcing the current fragile ceasefire would bring relief to markets but not immediately defuse a global energy crisis, which has driven up costs of fuel, fertilizer and food.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC

August 16, 2026

Nationals of 4 African countries in US face deportation risk as Trump ends temporary protection

August 16, 2026

China pledges N40bn grant for Devt projects in Nigeria

August 14, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202551
Don't Miss
Health
Health By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20262 Mins Read1

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20261 Health Updated:August 17, 202602 Mins Read

The European Commission has released €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the…

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026

NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy

August 17, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

August 17, 2026

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.