The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has proposed a maximum 48-hour work week for healthcare personnel, alongside mandatory post-call rest, as part of measures to address burnout, fatigue and excessive workloads in health institutions.
The recommendations followed a nationwide assessment involving 6,350 healthcare personnel across the six geopolitical zones, which identified excessive work hours, inadequate rest, and fatigue as major concerns affecting healthcare workers and patient safety.
According to a statement by the Publicity and Social Secretary of NARD, Dr Abdulmajid Yahya Ibrahim, the recommendations emerged from deliberations of the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare’s Ministerial Committee on Work Hour Regulation and Casualisation of Doctors.
Under the proposed framework, healthcare personnel would work a maximum of 48 hours per week, including weekends, while authorised excess hours would be properly documented and adequately compensated.
The guidelines also recommend a maximum eight-hour day shift and six-hour afternoon shift, while shifts exceeding 12 hours would be restricted to genuine emergencies.
Call duties would be limited to two per week, including weekends, with a maximum of one weekend call per month and equitable distribution among eligible personnel.
The framework further proposes an absolute maximum of 24 consecutive hours of duty, inclusive of call duties.
Healthcare personnel would also be entitled to at least 12 hours of rest between regular shifts and a mandatory 24-hour post-call rest following weekday, Saturday, Sunday and public holiday calls.
The proposed policy also provides for a minimum one-hour break after six hours of continuous work, with hospitals expected to stagger breaks to ensure uninterrupted patient care.
NARD said authorised excess working hours should attract compensation above the normal hourly rate or be converted into structured time off.
The recommendations also provide for protected time for research and professional development for healthcare personnel, subject to approval by the appropriate health research and ethics authorities.
NARD said the guidelines had been forwarded to medical directors and chief medical directors for implementation across health institutions.
“The findings clearly demonstrated the urgent need to address excessive work hours, burnout, fatigue, inadequate rest, and the associated risks to healthcare workers and patient safety,” the association said.
It urged hospital managements and heads of departments to take steps towards compliance, while encouraging members to document cases of non-compliance and channel legitimate complaints through their centre leadership.
NARD noted, however, that the proposed limits would not prevent exceptional arrangements during genuine emergencies where patient safety and continuity of care require extended duty.
The association also disclosed that a second document addressing casualisation and abusive locum appointments among doctors would be released soon.
NARD commended the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof. Muhammad Ali Pate, for approving the recommendations and the Minister of State for Health and Social Welfare, Dr Iziaq Salako, for his guidance throughout the process.
The association expressed hope that the National Council on Health would endorse the proposed policy, reaffirming its commitment to protecting the welfare, dignity, rights and professional interests of Nigerian doctors.

