Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors
  • Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account
  • President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law
  • Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy Still Mandatory – NCDMB
  • ‘Promote Peace, Pray For Security Of Our Nation,’ Tinubu Tells Nigerians At Lent, Ramadan
  • SAIPEC 2026: NCDMB sets agenda for Africa’s local content future
  • Social media suspended in Gabon ‘until further notice’
  • Senate Amends Electoral Act to Grant INEC Timetable Flexibility Amid Ramadan Concerns
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Sports»South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe re-elected as CAF President for second term
Sports

South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe re-elected as CAF President for second term

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaMarch 12, 2025Updated:March 12, 2025No Comments4 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

South African Patrice Motsepe has been re-elected unopposed as the President of Confederation of African Football (CAF). This means he would serve a second four-year term as CAF boss.

He secured a second term during CAF’s extraordinary general assembly held in Cairo on Wednesday, with FIFA president Gianni Infantino in attendance.

Motsepe was elected by acclamation in Morocco four years ago, succeeding Malagasy Ahmad Ahmad, who had been suspended by FIFA over financial misconduct.

CAF secretary general Veron Mosengo-Omba is among those who have credited Motsepe with improving the finances and governance of the organisation.

“Patrice was a gift for African football. In 2021 CAF was a toxic body. He brought good governance to all levels of the organisation,” Mosengo-Omba said ahead of the meeting.

Eto’o Elected To CAF Executive

Also, former Cameroon star Samuel Eto’o was elected to the CAF executive committee by acclamation in Cairo on Wednesday as he was the lone candidate from the central Africa region.

The 44-year-old became eligible only last week after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) overturned a CAF ban on the ex-Barcelona, Inter Milan and Chelsea forward.

His elevation to the executive of the African governing body came at a CAF extraordinary general assembly — an annual meeting of top football officials in the continent.

Cameroon Football Federation (FECAFOOT) president Eto’o now joins the supreme decision-making body in Africa.

The CAF ban of Eto’o came last year after the three-time Champions League winner was found guilty by the Cairo-based organisation of an ethics breach.

Last July, CAF said the Cameroonian had “seriously violated the principles of ethics, integrity and sportsmanship” by becoming a brand ambassador for a betting organisation.

 Controversies

Apart from the suspension, the four-time African Footballer of the Year was fined $200,000 (€185,000). This was later quashed.

Born in the Cameroon port city Douala, Eto’o has been involved in several controversies since becoming FECAFOOT boss in 2021.

He was caught on video assaulting a football supporter outside a stadium after a match at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

He later apologised, saying: “I would like to apologise for losing my temper and reacting in a way that does not match my personality. It was an unfortunate incident.”

Last year, he was banned by FIFA from attending all Cameroon men’s and women’s national team matches for six months after an incident at the Women’s under-20 World Cup in Colombia.

The world body found Eto’o guilty of “offensive behaviour, violation of the principles of fair play and misconduct of players and officials”.

When Belgian Marc Brys was appointed national coach of the Cameroon men’s team last year, he clashed regularly with Eto’o.

Eto’o enjoyed a glittering career, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest African footballers.

He helped Cameroon win the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games football tournament and was part of the 2000 and 2002 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)-winning teams.

Eto’o featured at four World Cup and six AFCON tournaments and scored a record 18 goals in the African tournament

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

CAF reveals plans to expand AFCON to 28 teams

February 13, 2026

Cristiano Ronaldo ends strike after settling dispute with Al-Nassr

February 10, 2026

Cristiano Ronaldo back in training with Al-Nassr despite ongoing £488k-per-day strike

February 5, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202442
Don't Miss
World
World By VardiafricaFebruary 18, 20263 Mins Read0

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

By VardiafricaFebruary 18, 20260 World Updated:February 18, 202603 Mins Read

The US presidential jet is getting a new paint design that will include one of…

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026

Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy Still Mandatory – NCDMB

February 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: info@vardiafrica.com
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026
Most Popular

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.