The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) are investigating the utilisation of the N12 billion Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to settle outstanding players’ wages, bonuses and other national-team obligations.
The development was disclosed by the NFF in a letter dated August 18, 2026, responding to a Freedom of Information request seeking financial records and utilisation logs relating to the intervention fund.
In the letter, reference number NFF/LEG/10/1/879, signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said it could not release the requested documents because the matter was already under investigation by the two anti-corruption agencies.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is the subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC),” the letter said.
The NFF added that “all documents relating to the request are before” the EFCC and ICPC.
A source familiar with the matter also confirmed that the investigations had commenced and that some officials linked to the matter had been invited by investigators to provide statements.
“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.
The specific transactions or activities being investigated were not disclosed.
N12bn NFF intervention fund
The N12 billion intervention was approved by President Bola Tinubu in January 2024 to clear outstanding obligations owed to Nigeria’s national teams.
According to a statement on Tinubu’s Media Centre’s X handle at the time, the payment covered 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to senior national team coaches, as well as allowances and other payments due to the senior men’s, women’s and U-20 national teams.
“President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12bn outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others,” the statement read.
“The payment entails the clearing of the senior national team coaches’ salaries running up to 15 months, payments of allowances and promises due to the senior national teams, women’s teams, and U-20 national team.”
The NFF’s response was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke following correspondence dated August 7, 2026, which the federation said it received on August 11.
The request, made under the Freedom of Information Act, sought financial records and other documents relating to the utilisation of the N12 billion fund.
However, the federation declined to release the records, citing the ongoing investigations by the EFCC and ICPC.
“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the letter stated.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
“Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.”
Senate laments state of Nigerian football
The investigation comes amid renewed scrutiny of the administration and financing of Nigerian football.
The Senate Committee on Sports on Wednesday expressed dismay over the dismal performance of Nigeria’s football teams in recent times, citing the Super Eagles’ failure to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the Super Falcons’ non-qualification for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
The committee consequently held an emergency meeting with the Chairman of the National Sports Commission (NSC), Shehu Dikko, and the President of the NFF, Ibrahim Musa Gusau.
The meeting was presided over by the committee chairman, Senator Abdul Ningi.
Speaking to journalists after the meeting, Ningi said it was convened at the prompting of the President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio.
“I have the authority of the Senate President on this very important meeting, who recently asked me, ‘Senator Ningi, what is happening in sports, what is happening in football?
“So, this meeting was a preamble to the explanation I will offer the Senate when it reconvenes next month on the state of sports and, in particular, football in Nigeria today and steps being taken to reposition it for better results,” the lawmaker said.
According to Ningi, the need for the NSC and the NFF to close ranks to help Nigerian teams excel at international competitions was emphasised at the meeting.
“I called them to close ranks, that is, the Nigeria Football Federation and the National Sports Commission, because as it is today, they are wide apart. They are heading for a meeting probably in the Villa. So, for now, it’s work in progress,” he stated.
Ningi further disclosed that the meeting was summoned to unravel the reasons behind the dismal performances of Nigerian football teams despite the motivational incentives provided by President Bola Tinubu for players and officials.
“Recall, in a very long time, the government never compensated sportsmen and women, but the President, in his magnanimity, dished out $100,000 each to players and officials. And what more will you need from a nation that is battling with the lives of over 220 million Nigerians?
“I thought the President had done all that he could in motivating them. And also, as the chairman of the Senate committee on Sports, I’ve also seen that the President has almost quadrupled the budget of the sports ministry.”
“Then, what other motivation does a player or official need? We were all pained when we couldn’t be in the World Cup in the United States and further pained by the failure of the Super Falcons to make it to Brazil next year,” he added.
Outstanding payments
The probe also comes against the backdrop of previous complaints by Nigerian national teams over unpaid allowances and bonuses.
In November 2025, the Super Eagles boycotted training in Rabat, Morocco, ahead of a crucial 2026 World Cup play-off against Gabon, citing outstanding allowances dating back to 2019 for achievements including reaching the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations and qualifying for the World Cup play-offs.
In April 2026, it was reported that some members of the 2023 and 2025 sets of Nigeria’s men’s U-20 team, the Flying Eagles, also complained that the NFF owed them N1.5 billion.
The reported debt covered qualification bonuses for participation in six major tournaments during the period, as well as pre-tournament camp allowances for about 65 days.
The latest probe comes after the Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the Super Falcons failed to qualify for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup, ending Nigeria’s record of appearing at every edition of the women’s tournament since its inception in 1991.
NFF President, Ibrahim Gusau, who was elected at the federation’s elective congress in Benin City in September 2022, is seeking a second term at the planned September 27 elective congress amid growing criticism of his administration.
Although the NFF board has denied it, there have been claims that the NSC has moved to stop the elections and install a normalisation committee to oversee Nigerian football

