Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager

May 22, 2026

NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors

May 22, 2026

APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager
  • NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors
  • APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators
  • APC Gov Primaries: Lawal, Sani, Yusuf, Radda, Oborevwori, Chinda, Hamzat, Alli Clinch Tickets
  • Gov Fubara Vows To Complete All Ongoing State Projects
  • Trump directs legal migrants to return to home country to apply for green cards
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar
  • FG launches AI platform to improve access to government information, services on WhatsApp
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»Africa»AFCON: Moroccan Court Convicts Senegalese Fans Charged With Hooliganism
Africa

AFCON: Moroccan Court Convicts Senegalese Fans Charged With Hooliganism

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaFebruary 20, 2026Updated:February 20, 2026No Comments2 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A Moroccan court on Thursday sentenced 18 Senegalese football fans to prison terms ranging from three to 12 months over hooliganism charges.

The group had been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf, after some Senegalese supporters attempted a pitch invasion while others threw objects onto the field.

Seeking the maximum penalty for some, the prosecution had told the court that the defendants had “deliberately sought to disrupt the proper conduct of the match”.

It said the group “committed acts of violence broadcast live on television,” while the defendants have denied any wrongdoing.

The Senegalese fans have been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final in which Morocco lost to Senegal 1-0 on home turf.

Material damage to the stadium was estimated at more than four million Moroccan dirhams ($430,000), the prosecution said.

It also said evidence against the defendants was based on footage from surveillance cameras at the stadium, as well as medical reports documenting injuries among security forces and stadium stewards.

But their lawyer, Naima El Guellaf, told the court the footage did not “contain irrefutable proof showing that any one of them struck or assaulted anyone”.

In late January, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) imposed a series of sanctions, including fines of several hundred thousand dollars, on both Senegalese and Moroccan federations for unsporting behaviour and breaches of fair play.

Guellaf said the defendants should not be “tried twice, since CAF has already sanctioned the Senegalese federation for the supporters’ behaviour”.

But Mustapha Simou, the lawyer for the civil party representing members of the security forces, said CAF’s sanctions did “not exempt the accused from criminal responsibility. On the contrary, they confirm their guilt”

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

May 19, 2026

Phone tapping: Court grants El-Rufai N100M bail with strict conditions

May 18, 2026

Uganda’s Yoweri Museveni sworn in for seventh term as president

May 12, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025124

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202496

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202450
Don't Miss
Sports
Sports By VardiafricaMay 22, 20268 Mins Read2

Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager

By VardiafricaMay 22, 20262 Sports Updated:May 22, 202608 Mins Read

Pep Guardiola will step down as Manager of Manchester City this summer. The Catalan, who…

NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors

May 22, 2026

APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators

May 22, 2026

APC Gov Primaries: Lawal, Sani, Yusuf, Radda, Oborevwori, Chinda, Hamzat, Alli Clinch Tickets

May 22, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager

May 22, 2026

NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors

May 22, 2026

APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators

May 22, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025124

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202496

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.