Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

President Museveni Backs Regional Oil Refinery After Meeting Dangote

May 17, 2026

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda a global health emergency

May 17, 2026

Candidates Emerge As APC Holds House Of Reps Primaries Across States

May 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • President Museveni Backs Regional Oil Refinery After Meeting Dangote
  • WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda a global health emergency
  • Candidates Emerge As APC Holds House Of Reps Primaries Across States
  • President Tinubu backs Airbus plan for regional aerospace hub in Nigeria
  • Five dead, 11 hospitalised as 3-storey building collapses in Abuja
  • US, Nigerian troops eliminate ISIS second-in-command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki
  • APC Primaries: Buhari’s Son Defeats Ex-DSS DG’s Son In Daura Reps Race
  • You’re not fulfilling your obligations as a citizen if you don’t pay tax – President Tinubu
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Health»Resident Doctors Suspend Nationwide Strike
Health

Resident Doctors Suspend Nationwide Strike

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaJanuary 12, 2026Updated:January 12, 2026No Comments11 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its planned nationwide strike following what it described as significant progress recorded on its demands through sustained engagements with the Federal Government and other key stakeholders.

The decision was taken at a virtual Emergency National Executive Council (E-NEC) meeting held on January 11, 2026, where the association reviewed the status of its demands and assessed recent developments.

The association said the suspension followed direct presidential intervention led by Vice President Kashim Shettima on behalf of President Bola Tinubu.

The suspension, the Secretary-General of NARD, Dr. Shuaibu Ibrahim, said, is strategic and conditional, allowing the NEC to review tangible progress at its January meeting scheduled to commence on January 25, 2026.

“The NEC unanimously resolved to suspend the resumption of TICS 2.0 based on firm commitments from critical stakeholders and the direct presidential intervention led by the Vice President, Senator Kashim Shettima, acting on behalf of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,” the statement partly read.

NARD also expressed appreciation to its members and stakeholders for their support, stating that it remains confident that the Vice President’s intervention will lead to a lasting resolution of long-standing challenges in Nigeria’s health sector.

FTH Crisis

On the lingering crisis at the Federal Teaching Hospital (FTH), Lokoja, NARD said an earlier committee report had been implemented, while a new reconciliation committee has been constituted to ensure peace and harmony among medical professionals at the facility.

The association also reported progress on the payment of outstanding CONMESS arrears, accoutrement allowances, promotion and salary arrears, as well as steps toward resolving issues relating to entry-level placement, locum practice, specialist allowances, and house officers’ welfare.

The association had said that more than 2,000 of its members had yet to be paid arrears of the 25–35 per cent Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS), despite claims by the Federal Government that the outstanding payments have been settled.

Responding to the Federal Government’s assertion that seven out of the 19 demands by the association had been statutorily addressed, including the full payment of seven months’ arrears of the CONMESS adjustment, Suleman said some doctors were still unpaid.

“On the seven months’ arrears of 25–35 per cent, we still have over 2,000, almost 3,000 of our members who are yet to be paid those arrears,” he said.

To avert a shutdown of the health sector, the National Industrial Court of Nigeria stepped in last Friday, issuing an interim order restraining the doctors from commencing its planned “TICS 2.0” strike scheduled for January 12, 2026.

Justice Emmanuel Subilim made the order while ruling on a motion ex parte filed by the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), following mounting tension between the government and resident doctors over unresolved welfare and professional concerns

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda a global health emergency

May 17, 2026

FG mandates drug tests for secondary school students

May 11, 2026

Resident Doctors Suspend Strike After FG Reinstates Allowances And Promises Arrears Payments

April 26, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025104

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202449
Don't Miss
Oil & Gas
Oil & Gas By VardiafricaMay 17, 20263 Mins Read3

President Museveni Backs Regional Oil Refinery After Meeting Dangote

By VardiafricaMay 17, 20263 Oil & Gas Updated:May 17, 202603 Mins Read

President Museveni has endorsed plans for a proposed East African regional refinery championed by Nigerian…

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda a global health emergency

May 17, 2026

Candidates Emerge As APC Holds House Of Reps Primaries Across States

May 17, 2026

President Tinubu backs Airbus plan for regional aerospace hub in Nigeria

May 17, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

President Museveni Backs Regional Oil Refinery After Meeting Dangote

May 17, 2026

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda a global health emergency

May 17, 2026

Candidates Emerge As APC Holds House Of Reps Primaries Across States

May 17, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025104

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.