Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager

May 22, 2026

NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors

May 22, 2026

APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager
  • NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors
  • APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators
  • APC Gov Primaries: Lawal, Sani, Yusuf, Radda, Oborevwori, Chinda, Hamzat, Alli Clinch Tickets
  • Gov Fubara Vows To Complete All Ongoing State Projects
  • Trump directs legal migrants to return to home country to apply for green cards
  • Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar
  • FG launches AI platform to improve access to government information, services on WhatsApp
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»Africa»West African bloc delegation arrives in Guinea-Bissau for talks with military coup leaders
Africa

West African bloc delegation arrives in Guinea-Bissau for talks with military coup leaders

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaDecember 1, 2025Updated:December 1, 2025No Comments5 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

A delegation from the West African regional bloc known as ECOWAS arrived in Guinea-Bissau on Monday for mediation talks with the leaders of a coup over the “complete restoration of constitutional order.”

The ECOWAS mission, led by its chairman and the President of Sierra Leone Julius Maada Bio, arrived as the military government — which seized power last Wednesday — banned all demonstrations, strikes and activities regarded as threat to peace and stability.

In a statement late Sunday, the military authorities also ordered public institutions and ministries to reopen.

Soldiers seized power in the West African nation three days after a hotly contested presidential election which the two main contenders claim to have won.

During the coup Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Sissoco Embalo told French media by phone that he had been deposed and arrested. Embalo has since fled to the Republic of Congo’s capital Brazzaville.

Guinea-Bissau’s military has installed former army chief of staff Gen. Horta Inta-a as the head of the military government, which will oversee a one-year transition period. On Saturday Inta-a appointed a new 28-member government, most of whom are allies of the ousted president.

Nigeria said its President Bola Tinubu has granted protection for Guinea-Bissau opposition candidate Fernando Dias da Costa in response to an ”imminent threat to his life.”

According to a letter to ECOWAS from Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs on Sunday, Dias da Costa is at the Nigerian embassy in Bissau. The letter requested an ECOWAS troop to provide security.

The day after the coup, ECOWAS said suspended Guinea-Bissau from its decision-making bodies “until the restoration of full and effective constitutional order in the country.” It said its mediation team would travel to Bissau to “engage the leaders of the coup with a view to ensuring the full restoration of constitutional order.”

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed grave concern over the events in Guinea-Bissau and condemned the coup. In a statement, Guterres stressed that disregarding “the will of the people who peacefully cast their vote during the Nov. 23 general elections constitutes an unacceptable violation of democratic principles.”

He called for the “immediate and unconditional restoration of constitutional order,” as well as the release of all detained officials, including electoral authorities, opposition leaders and other political actors

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens

May 19, 2026

Uganda’s Yoweri Museveni sworn in for seventh term as president

May 12, 2026

ECOWAS, Sierra Leone launch LPG 20/20 initiative to expand clean cooking access

May 4, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025125

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202496

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202450
Don't Miss
Sports
Sports By VardiafricaMay 22, 20268 Mins Read2

Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager

By VardiafricaMay 22, 20262 Sports Updated:May 22, 202608 Mins Read

Pep Guardiola will step down as Manager of Manchester City this summer. The Catalan, who…

NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors

May 22, 2026

APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators

May 22, 2026

APC Gov Primaries: Lawal, Sani, Yusuf, Radda, Oborevwori, Chinda, Hamzat, Alli Clinch Tickets

May 22, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Guardiola to step down after incredible decade as City Manager

May 22, 2026

NCDMB rallies Stakeholders to Deepen Local Content in Midstream/Downstream Sectors

May 22, 2026

APC Announces Direct Mode For Presidential Primary, Fubara, Other Govs Named State Coordinators

May 22, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025125

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202496

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.