Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

2027: Tinubu, Obi, Sowore, others sign first National Peace Accord

August 18, 2026

FCTA begins demolition of houses built on water channels in Abuja

August 18, 2026

US lifts security restrictions on ships from Nigeria after 12 years

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • 2027: Tinubu, Obi, Sowore, others sign first National Peace Accord
  • FCTA begins demolition of houses built on water channels in Abuja
  • US lifts security restrictions on ships from Nigeria after 12 years
  • Zambia’s President Hichilema wins second term in presidential election
  • First Lady Launches Southwest Food Bank Programme in Ogun
  • Angelique Kidjo To Become First African Musician To Get Hollywood Star
  • UK Congratulates Adeleke, Flags Vote-Buying, BVAS Delays In Osun Election
  • EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Education»US resumes student visas for foreigners, demands social media access
Education

US resumes student visas for foreigners, demands social media access

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaJune 19, 2025Updated:June 19, 2025No Comments8 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The U.S. State Department said Wednesday it is restarting the suspended process for foreigners applying for student visas but all applicants will now be required to unlock their social media accounts for government review.

The department said consular officers will be on the lookout for posts and messages that could be deemed hostile to the United States, its government, culture, institutions or founding principles.

In a notice made public Wednesday, the department said it had rescinded its May suspension of student visa processing but said new applicants who refuse to set their social media accounts to “public” and allow them to be reviewed may be rejected. It said a refusal to do so could be a sign they are trying to evade the requirement or hide their online activity.

The Trump administration last month temporarily halted the scheduling of new visa interviews for foreign students hoping to study in the U.S. while preparing to expand the screening of their activity on social media, officials said.

Students around the world have been waiting anxiously for U.S. consulates to reopen appointments for visa interviews, as the window left to book their travel and make housing arrangements narrows ahead of the start of the school year.

On Wednesday afternoon, a 27-year-old Ph.D. student in Toronto was able to secure an appointment for a visa interview next week. The student, a Chinese national, hopes to travel to the U.S. for a research internship that would start in late July. “I’m really relieved,” said the student, who spoke on condition of being identified only by his surname, Chen, because he was concerned about being targeted. “I’ve been refreshing the website couple of times every day.”

Students from China, India, Mexico and the Philippines have posted on social media sites that they have been monitoring visa booking websites and closely watching press briefings of the State Department to get any indication of when appointment scheduling might resume.

In reopening the visa process, the State Department also told consulates to prioritize students hoping to enroll at colleges where foreigners make up less than 15% of the student body, a U.S. official familiar with the matter said. The official spoke on condition of anonymity to detail information that has not been made public.

Foreign students make up more than 15% of the total student body at almost 200 U.S. universities, according to an Associated Press analysis of federal education data from 2023. Most are private universities, including all eight Ivy League schools. But that criteria also includes 26 public universities, including the University of Illinois and Pennsylvania State University. Looking only at undergraduate students, foreign students make up more than 15% of the population at about 100 universities, almost all of them private.

International students in the U.S. have been facing increased scrutiny on several fronts. In the spring, the Trump administration revoked permission to study in the U.S. for thousands of students, including some involved only in traffic offenses, before abruptly reversing course. The government also expanded the grounds on which foreign students can have their legal status terminated.

As part of a pressure campaign targeting Harvard University, the Trump administration has moved to block foreign students from attending the Ivy League school, which counts on international students for tuition dollars and a quarter of its enrollment. Trump has said Harvard should cap its foreign enrollment at 15%.

This latest move to vet students’ social media, the State Department said Wednesday, “will ensure we are properly screening every single person attempting to visit our country.”

In internal guidance sent to consular officers, the department said they should be looking for “any indications of hostility toward the citizens, culture, government, institutions, or founding principles of the United States.”

Jameel Jaffer, executive director at the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, said the new policy evokes the ideological vetting of the Cold War, when prominent artists and intellectuals were excluded from the U.S.

“This policy makes a censor of every consular officer, and it will inevitably chill legitimate political speech both inside and outside the United States,” Jaffer said.

The Trump administration also has called for 36 countries to commit to improving vetting of travelers or face a ban on their citizens visiting the United States. A weekend diplomatic cable sent by the State Department says the countries have 60 days to address U.S. concerns or risk being added to a travel ban that now includes 12 nations

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

FG Deepens Digital Education Drive, Signs Landmark Agreement To Expand AI Training For Unity College Teachers

July 31, 2026

Segun Aina assumes office as JAMB registrar, vows to uphold integrity

July 31, 2026

FG Approves Higher Hazard Allowances, New Benefits for Federal University Non-Teaching Staff

July 27, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025458

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202551
Don't Miss
Politics
Politics By VardiafricaAugust 18, 20262 Mins Read2

2027: Tinubu, Obi, Sowore, others sign first National Peace Accord

By VardiafricaAugust 18, 20262 Politics Updated:August 18, 202602 Mins Read

Ahead of the 2027 elections, presidential candidates and national chairmen of major political parties on…

FCTA begins demolition of houses built on water channels in Abuja

August 18, 2026

US lifts security restrictions on ships from Nigeria after 12 years

August 18, 2026

Zambia’s President Hichilema wins second term in presidential election

August 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

2027: Tinubu, Obi, Sowore, others sign first National Peace Accord

August 18, 2026

FCTA begins demolition of houses built on water channels in Abuja

August 18, 2026

US lifts security restrictions on ships from Nigeria after 12 years

August 18, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025458

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.