Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026

NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’
  • NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos
  • NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy
  • NCAA to Automate Baggage Tracking to Eliminate Missing Luggage, Delays
  • Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC
  • President Tinubu congratulates Gov Adeleke, says victory reflects people’s will
  • FG Unveils Mechanization Policy, Targets 4,000 Tractors Annually
  • ECOWAS Hands Over 30 Medical Ambulances To Member States To Strengthen Healthcare Delivery
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»World»US launches third night of strikes on Iran as Trump announces Hormuz blockade
World

US launches third night of strikes on Iran as Trump announces Hormuz blockade

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaJuly 14, 2026Updated:July 14, 2026No Comments4 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The US has launched its third consecutive night of strikes on Iran hours after Donald Trump said Washington would reinstate a maritime blockade on the country and, in an apparent policy reversal, charge ships for safe passage.

“These strikes will continue imposing a heavy cost on Iranian forces and degrade their ability to attack innocent civilians and commercial shipping in the strait of Hormuz,” the US military’s Central Command said.

Trump had earlier told the conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt: “We’re going to hit them very hard tonight and we’re going to hit them hard tomorrow – and there’s not a damn thing they can do about it.”

He added: “They have nothing. They have nothing going, other than they have big mouths.”

Late on Monday the UAE said two ⁠national tankers ⁠were ​targeted by two Iranian cruise missiles in ⁠the southern lane of the strait ⁠of Hormuz in Omani territorial ​waters, ‌killing one ‌Indian crew member and wounding ‌eight others, including four seriously.https://interactive.guim.co.uk/datawrapper/embed/oTtdC/1/?dark=false

The price of Brent crude oil, the international standard, rose 7.8% to $81.92 a barrel on Monday, still well below the $120 (£90) reached at the height of the war.

Earlier on Monday, Trump had said the US would demand a 20% tariff on all cargoes shipped through the strait of Hormuz. He suggested in a post on his Truth Social platform that the US should be known henceforth as the “guardian of the strait of Hormuz”, as Iran and the US engaged in some of the heaviest drone and missile exchanges since an interim deal was negotiated to bring an end to the conflict.

Until now, the US had said the strait should remain open to all without tolls – as it was before Washington and Israel attacked Iran on 28 February. Any attempt by the US or Iran to charge fees would violate global norms on freedom of navigation and would be likely to cause further economic disruption far beyond the region.

Trump has made numerous claims and threats during the war on Iran, including frequent claims of victory, many of which have had little grounding in reality.

Iran and the US are in theory nearly halfway through the 60-day period of an interim deal that was supposed to set up talks for a permanent end to the war, which began in February with the assassination of Iran’s supreme leader, Ali Khamenei, in US-Israeli airstrikes.

Two men wade in the waters of the Strait of Hormuz with vessels anchored in the background, off Bandar Abbas, Iran, Sunday 12 July.
Two men wade in the waters of the Strait of Hormuz with vessels anchored in the background, off Bandar Abbas in Iran on Sunday. Photograph: Razieh Poudat/AP

In reality, that deal has devolved into a series of attacks over the strait of Hormuz, resulting in the near-total collapse of an interim ceasefire and worrying world leaders that the conflict could fully resume.

On Monday it was revealed that Trump sent Congress formal notification that hostilities against Iran had resumed on 7 July, ⁠a letter his administration sees as opening a new 60-day window to use the military in the region without congressional approval.

The US Constitution says that only Congress, not the president, has the power to declare war. However, US presidents have long claimed the right to order shorter military engagements without lawmakers’ ‌approval to preserve US security. The war powers act requires the president to inform Congress within 48 hours of initiating hostilities, and says military action begun without ​Congress’ approval must be terminated within 60 days.

Democrats and Republican opponents of ⁠the war have accused the administration of misinterpreting the law.

On Monday evening the US Navy-led Joint Maritime Information Center said the US would begin enforcing the blockade on Iran, covering all ports, oil terminals and coastal areas, on Tuesday night.

Smoke rises after a US one-way attack surface drone reached its target, a submarine and ship maintenance facility according to U.S. Central Command, in Bandar Abbas, Iran, in this screengrab taken from a video.
A US one-way attack surface drone reached a submarine and ship maintenance facility in Bandar Abbas, according to US Central Command. Photograph: US Central Command/Reuters

A statement read: “Any vessel suspected ‌of entering or departing the blockaded area without authorisation ​is subject to interception, diversion and capture. Noncompliant vessels may be legally compelled with ⁠force.” The centre ​said ​neutral transit through ​the strait of ​Hormuz heading to ‌or ​from ​non-Iranian destinations will not be impeded.

It remains unclear in practical terms how easy it would be for the navy to do this.

Trump’s demand for a 20% tariff comes despite his administration’s previous insistence that no country should be allowed to charge fees for passages used for international navigation.

That stance was reiterated last month by the US secretary of state, Marco Rubio, who said: “No country is allowed to charge tolls or fees on an international waterway. That’s existing international law.”

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps accused the US on Monday of jeopardising global oil and gas supplies by interfering in the strait, as Tehran threatened that any US moves would be “strongly contested”.

The IRGC spokesperson Hossein Mohebi said Washington had “seriously endangered the security of the world’s oil and gas supply and must be held accountable”, adding in a post on X that Tehran would “continue to exercise sovereignty over and management of the strait of Hormuz”.

A vessel at the strait of Hormuz
A vessel at the strait of Hormuz, seen from Musandam, Oman. Photograph: Reuters

The International Maritime Organization, the UN agency that oversees safety and security measures in international shipping, said it was waiting to find out more about Trump’s proposal, but added: “We have always been consistent on our stance on fees – IMO stands firmly against charging fees for passage through straits used for international navigation. There is no legal basis through which to introduce mandatory tolls simply to transit through a strait.”

Trump said ⁠the ⁠US ​would probably take over ⁠the strait and should ⁠be reimbursed for ​controlling ‌the waterway. “We’re going to ‌keep the strait, and we’ll probably run it,” Trump ​said in ​a ‌phone interview ​on Fox News.

Iran’s top negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, posted on social media on Sunday: “The era of one-sided deals is OVER. We told you: keep your ‌word or pay the price. Reality is knocking.”

The war has spread across the region, with Iran attacking US bases in multiple countries. Thousands of people have been killed, mainly in Iran and Lebanon.

Iran’s strikes on Sunday extended to Qatar, a mediator in ceasefire talks that had not come under attack since April. The United Arab Emirates, ⁠which had not been targeted since early May, said its air defences had engaged missiles and drones from Iran.

The conflict has caused global economic shock waves since it began in late February, driving energy prices higher and fuelling global inflation. Higher prices – especially for petrol – are politically sensitive for Trump in the run-up to November’s US congressional elections.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC

August 16, 2026

Nationals of 4 African countries in US face deportation risk as Trump ends temporary protection

August 16, 2026

China pledges N40bn grant for Devt projects in Nigeria

August 14, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202551
Don't Miss
Health
Health By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20263 Mins Read2

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20262 Health Updated:August 17, 202603 Mins Read

The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has proposed a maximum 48-hour work week for…

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026

NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy

August 17, 2026

NCAA to Automate Baggage Tracking to Eliminate Missing Luggage, Delays

August 16, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026

NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy

August 17, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.