Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Peter Obi Emerges Sole NDC Presidential Aspirant For 2027

May 19, 2026

UNIPORT, UNIBEN emerge regional winners of NCDMB-sponsored Engineering Olympiad

May 19, 2026

NCDMB to Host 2026 Midstream, Downstream Stakeholders Summit

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Peter Obi Emerges Sole NDC Presidential Aspirant For 2027
  • UNIPORT, UNIBEN emerge regional winners of NCDMB-sponsored Engineering Olympiad
  • NCDMB to Host 2026 Midstream, Downstream Stakeholders Summit
  • NRS, JRB commence implementation of tax ID system
  • NCAA Issues Ebola Alert, Directs Enhanced Surveillance At Airports
  • Dangote refinery reduces aviation fuel price to N1,650 per litre
  • Togo grants 30-day visa-free access to all African citizens
  • Fire Disrupts Oncology Unit at Abuja National Hospital, Patients Evacuated
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Education»Senate summons finance, Education ministers over $30m Safe School Initiative collapse
Education

Senate summons finance, Education ministers over $30m Safe School Initiative collapse

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaDecember 4, 2025Updated:December 4, 2025No Comments5 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The Senate on Wednesday intensified its probe into the collapse of the Safe School Initiative by summoning key government officials, including Finance Minister Wale Edun, Education Minister Tunji Alausa, and Defence Minister Lt-Gen Christopher Musa (retd.), to explain why the $30m scheme failed to protect Nigerian schoolchildren from relentless attacks.

The summons was issued by the Senate Ad-hoc Committee on the Safe School Initiative, chaired by Senator Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia North), following the adoption of its work plan during its maiden sitting.

Edun and the other officials are to appear before the committee next Tuesday.

Conceived in 2014 at the peak of Boko Haram’s school attacks, the Safe School Initiative was expected to fortify learning environments nationwide.

But more than a decade later, and after millions of dollars and billions of naira in funding, schools across the country remain vulnerable, with kidnapping cases surging.

Addressing journalists after the committee’s inauguration, Kalu said the Senate was determined to uncover why the initiative collapsed despite substantial domestic and international backing.

“It is unacceptable that our schools remain soft targets for terrorists and kidnappers,” he said, noting that over 1,680 schoolchildren had been kidnapped and 180 schools attacked since 2014.

He vowed that the committee would follow the money trail without compromise.

“We will track every naira and every dollar allocated to the Safe School Initiative, some of which were the $30 30million mobilised between 2014 and 2021, aside from the latest N144bn released for the initiative by the federal government.

“Nigerians deserve to know why, despite enormous investment and global support, our schools remain unsafe.

“The committee will undertake a comprehensive financial and operational audit, engaging federal ministries, state governments, security agencies, and civil society partners,” he added.

Kalu stressed that the probe was not a witch-hunt but an attempt to restore accountability and rebuild public confidence.

The committee, he said, “owes Nigerian parents the responsibility to guarantee that their children can pursue education without fear”.

The Senate will also examine how Safe School Initiative funds have been used since 2014, assess the deployment of security personnel, review early-warning and emergency-response systems, evaluate infrastructure upgrades in vulnerable schools, and scrutinise partnerships with international donors and private-sector contributors.

Apart from the ministers and security chiefs, school proprietors and other stakeholders are also expected to testify before the panel.

The renewed legislative scrutiny follows fresh nationwide outrage after the recent abduction of 25 female students from Government Girls’ Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State and the kidnapping of more than 200 pupils from St Mary Catholic School in Niger State.

Both attacks have revived public concerns over why, ten years after its launch, the Safe School Initiative has failed to deliver on its central promise, ensuring that Nigerian children can learn without the fear of abduction or violence.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

UNIPORT, UNIBEN emerge regional winners of NCDMB-sponsored Engineering Olympiad

May 19, 2026

NUC, World Bank sign $65m deal to upgrade universities, train 24,000 Nigerians

May 13, 2026

FG approves 150 cut-off mark for universities, nursing colleges

May 11, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025112

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202449
Don't Miss
Politics
Politics By VardiafricaMay 19, 20262 Mins Read3

Peter Obi Emerges Sole NDC Presidential Aspirant For 2027

By VardiafricaMay 19, 20263 Politics Updated:May 19, 202602 Mins Read

Former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has emerged as the sole aspirant for the…

UNIPORT, UNIBEN emerge regional winners of NCDMB-sponsored Engineering Olympiad

May 19, 2026

NCDMB to Host 2026 Midstream, Downstream Stakeholders Summit

May 19, 2026

NRS, JRB commence implementation of tax ID system

May 19, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Peter Obi Emerges Sole NDC Presidential Aspirant For 2027

May 19, 2026

UNIPORT, UNIBEN emerge regional winners of NCDMB-sponsored Engineering Olympiad

May 19, 2026

NCDMB to Host 2026 Midstream, Downstream Stakeholders Summit

May 19, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025112

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202550

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.