Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

February 19, 2026

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 
  • Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power
  • NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy
  • ICPC Confirms Nasir El-rufai’s Arrest After His Release From EFCC Custody
  • Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Gov Fubara, Deputy
  • Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors
  • Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account
  • President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»World»Rwanda Confirms Talks With Trump Administration to Take Deported Migrants
World

Rwanda Confirms Talks With Trump Administration to Take Deported Migrants

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaMay 5, 2025Updated:May 5, 2025No Comments7 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Rwanda’s foreign minister confirmed Sunday that the East African nation’s government is in “early stage” talks with the Trump administration about possibly taking in migrants deported from the United States.

“It has not yet reached a stage where we can say exactly how things will proceed, but the talks are ongoing,” Rwandan Foreign Minister Olivier Nduhungirehe told Rwanda TV. He added that the Rwandan government is in the “spirit” of offering “another chance to migrants who have problems across the world.”

Last week, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the Trump administration is seeking nations that are willing to accept its deportees.

“We want to send you some of the most despicable human beings to your countries.”

“We are working with other countries to say, ‘We want to send you some of the most despicable human beings to your countries. Will you do that as a favor to us?'” Rubio said. “And the farther away from America, the better, so they can’t come back across the border.”

The Wall Street Journal reported last month that Trump administration officials have also asked other countries including Benin, Eswatini, Kosovo, Libya, Moldova, and Mongolia about resettling U.S. deportees.

In 2022, Rwanda agreed to take in some people seeking asylum in the United Kingdom while their claims were being processed. However, the scheme was shelved amid legal and human rights concerns following the return to power of the center-left Labour Party. Rwanda is still seeking to collect £50 million ($66.4 million) from Britain despite the canceled deal.

The United Nations refugee agency condemned the U.K.-Rwanda deal, asserting that “externalizing asylum obligations poses serious risks for the safety of refugees” and “is not compatible with international refugee law.”

Local human rights defenders strongly oppose any resettlement of third-country migrants in Rwanda.

“I with other concerned and responsible Rwandans are going to wage a legal war to challenge this arrangement between [Trump’s] government and the dictatorial regime of [Rwandan President Paul Kagame],” investigative journalist Samuel Baker Byansi said on social media Sunday.

“Rwanda is not a dumping site of migrants with criminal records who have served their sentence in the U.S.,” he added. “As we did with the U.K.-Rwanda deportation deal, fellow Rwandans in the country and abroad, let us unapologetically and loudly oppose this again.”

Last month, the U.S. deported Omar Abdulsattar Ameen, an Iraqi refugee who had lived in the United States since 2014, to Rwanda after officials in Baghdad accused him of being a former Islamic State militant who murdered an Iraqi police officer. This, despite a U.S. judge’s order blocking his deportation on the grounds that the murder allegation was “not plausible” since Ameen was living in Turkey at the time of the officer’s killing.

Critics have sounded the alarm over potential perils migrants might face in Rwanda, including human rights violations and the possibility that they could be sent to third countries where they are at risk of violence and persecution.

The Trump administration is facing legal challenges to its mass deportation efforts, which include sending immigrants to the U.S. military base at Guantánamo Bay and the notorious Terrorism Confinement Center (CECOT) prison in El Salvador. President Donald Trump has even proposed deporting U.S. citizens to CECOT.

Trump appeared on NBC News‘ “Meet the Press” Sunday and was pressed by moderator Kristen Welker about the legality of his mass deportation program. Asked whether every person in the United States is entitled to due process, Trump replied: “I don’t know. I’m not a lawyer.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

U.S. Freezes Assets of Eight Nigerians Over Terror, Cybercrime Links

February 16, 2026

Social Media Platform X Suffers Outages Globally

February 16, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202442
Don't Miss
Government
Government By VardiafricaFebruary 19, 20262 Mins Read0

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

By VardiafricaFebruary 19, 20260 Government Updated:February 19, 202602 Mins Read

The federal government has announced that 30 per cent of the 2025 capital budget will…

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026

ICPC Confirms Nasir El-rufai’s Arrest After His Release From EFCC Custody

February 19, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: info@vardiafrica.com
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

February 19, 2026

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026
Most Popular

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.