Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors
  • Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account
  • President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law
  • Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy Still Mandatory – NCDMB
  • ‘Promote Peace, Pray For Security Of Our Nation,’ Tinubu Tells Nigerians At Lent, Ramadan
  • SAIPEC 2026: NCDMB sets agenda for Africa’s local content future
  • Social media suspended in Gabon ‘until further notice’
  • Senate Amends Electoral Act to Grant INEC Timetable Flexibility Amid Ramadan Concerns
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»Africa»Guinea junta chief wins presidential election by landslide
Africa

Guinea junta chief wins presidential election by landslide

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaDecember 31, 2025Updated:December 31, 2025No Comments5 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Guinea’s junta chief Gen Mamady Doumbouya has won the presidential election by a landslide, getting 86.7% of the vote, according to provisional results published by the election commission.

The general is hoping to legitimise his rule after seizing power in a coup in 2021.

A civil society group calling for the return of civilian rule has condemned the election as a “charade” after Gen Doumbouya’s main rivals were barred from contesting, while opposition candidates said the poll was marred by irregularities.

The Democratic Front of Guinea’s flagbearer, Abdoulaye Yero Balde, came a distant second with 6.6%, followed by the Liberal Bloc’s Faya Lansana Millimono with 2%, provisional results show.

On Monday, internet monitoring group NetBlocks reported that access to social media platforms TikTok, YouTube and Facebook had been restricted as Guineans waited for the full results

There has been no official comment on the restrictions, but opponents see it as an attempt by the junta to stifle criticism of the results.

The 41-year-old general’s victory gives him a seven-year mandate. Should the results be challenged, the Supreme Court has eight days to validate them

Millimono said on Monday that the election was marred by “systematic fraudulent practices”, citing the expulsion of poll observers, ballot stuffing and intimidation.

The ruling party and the government have yet to comment on the complaints.

After overthrowing then-83-year-old President Alpha Condé in 2021, Gen Doumbouyapromised not to seek election and to hand power to a civilian.

“Neither I nor any member of this transition will be a candidate for anything… As soldiers, we value our word very much,” he said at the time.

The junta leader broke his promise by putting his name on the ballot after a new constitution, implemented in September, permitted him to run for office.

Djenabou Toure, the country’s top election official who announced the provisional results, put the voter turnout at more than 80%.

However, a civil society group, the National Front for the Defence of the Constitution, said in a statement on Monday that the turnout was low.

“A huge majority of Guineans chose to boycott the electoral charade,” the National Front for the Defence of the Constitution was quoted as saying by the AFP news agency.

Eight other candidates took part in Sunday’s election, but with the exclusion of main opposition parties RPG Arc en Ciel and UFDG, none of the participants have a solid political footing.

According to the provisional results, six of them got less than 2% of the vote, with Mohamed Nabe getting 0.8%.

Although he is popular with many of Guinea’s youth, Gen Doumbouya has been criticised for restricting opposition activities, banning protests and stifling press freedom in the run-up to the elections.

The general justified deposing Condé on similar charges – including rampant corruption, disregard for human rights and economic mismanagement.

Guinea has the world’s largest bauxite reserves and some of its richest iron ore. Last month, authorities launched the gigantic Simandou iron-ore mine to widespread anticipation.

However, over half of the population lives in poverty, according to World Bank figures

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Social media suspended in Gabon ‘until further notice’

February 18, 2026

Nigeria, Angola sign MoU on visa waiver for diplomatic passports

February 15, 2026

VP Shettima Attends AU Summit As Burundi’s Ndayishimiye Takes Over Chairmanship

February 14, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202442
Don't Miss
World
World By VardiafricaFebruary 18, 20263 Mins Read0

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

By VardiafricaFebruary 18, 20260 World Updated:February 18, 202603 Mins Read

The US presidential jet is getting a new paint design that will include one of…

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026

Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy Still Mandatory – NCDMB

February 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: info@vardiafrica.com
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026
Most Popular

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.