Monday Okpebholo, the governor of Edo, visited Kano on Monday to commiserate with the families of the 16 hunters who were killed in his state.
On Thursday, a mob in the Uromi area of Edo killed 16 hunters of northern descent who were travelling from Elele, Rivers state.
The Kano-bound travellers were attacked and lynched after some vigilante members raised the alarm, suspecting that they were kidnappers.
The Edo state government said 14 suspects arrested in connection with the killing would be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation.
During the visit to some of the families of the victims at Bankure LGA in Kano, Okpebholo assured that justice would be served.
“I was deeply touched when I received the news of the incident at night. By 4 am, I left Abuja and rushed to Uromi to meet with the affected families,” the governor told the bereaved families.
“During my campaign, your people supported me, and I stand with you in this time of grief.
“I extend my condolences to the people of Kano state and pray for the eternal rest of the victims’ souls.
“We have made significant progress in our investigations. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu is not happy about this incident and has directed security agencies to go after the culprits. I can assure you that justice will prevail.
“So far, about 14 suspects have been arrested, and after the holiday, they will be transferred to Abuja for further interrogation. More arrests will follow as investigations continue.”
Responding, Abba Yusuf, governor of Kano, commended his Edo counterpart for the intervention and support to the bereaved families.
“We appreciate the governor of Edo state for his prompt response to this tragic event. It is well known that our people were returning from Port Harcourt when they were brutally murdered,” Yusuf said.
“The majority of the victims were from two local governments in Kano state. Governor Okpebholo immediately visited the scene, ensured that the corpses were retrieved, and arranged for their proper burial.
“He also made commitments to support the affected families, and I can confirm that he has fulfilled those promises.
“We trust his assurance that the culprits will be brought to book, as justice remains our utmost priority. The people of Kano are peaceful and hospitable.
“This tragedy serves as a lesson to all, and I urge all leaders across Nigeria to ensure the safety and protection of all citizens, regardless of their location. Governor Okpebholo’s visit today is a mark of true leadership, and we appreciate his gesture.”
Speaking on behalf of the Arewa community in Edo, Badamasi Sally said the northern community maintains a good relationship with the people of the state.
Sally said the sad incident should not tarnish the relationship between northerners and Edo people.
“I was born and raised in Edo state and we have always maintained a peaceful relationship with the people here,” he said.
“This incident should not be used to create division or smear the reputation of the Edo state government.
“The swift response of the state government was commendable. Moreover, it was the people of Uromi who rescued some of the victims from the assailants. This tragedy will not change our bond with the people of Edo.”
Fred Akhigbe, leader of the Edo community in Kano, thanked the governor for the visit.
“We are grateful to the governor of Edo state for personally coming to Kano to express his condolences,” Akhigbe said.
“When this tragic incident happened, there was apprehension, but we are reassured by the swift actions taken by both state governments. We sympathise with the people of Kano state and pray for the victims.
“I have lived in Kano for 52 years, and we must remember that we are all one.”
Akhigbe added that there should be no conflict between the two states