Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors
  • Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account
  • President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law
  • Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy Still Mandatory – NCDMB
  • ‘Promote Peace, Pray For Security Of Our Nation,’ Tinubu Tells Nigerians At Lent, Ramadan
  • SAIPEC 2026: NCDMB sets agenda for Africa’s local content future
  • Social media suspended in Gabon ‘until further notice’
  • Senate Amends Electoral Act to Grant INEC Timetable Flexibility Amid Ramadan Concerns
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Legal»Diezani Alison-Madueke Corruption Trial Stalls In London Court Over Internet Failure
Legal

Diezani Alison-Madueke Corruption Trial Stalls In London Court Over Internet Failure

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaJanuary 26, 2026Updated:January 26, 2026No Comments4 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The prosecution informed the court that its opening statement could not be delivered as scheduled and would instead be presented when the matter resumes on Tuesday.

Proceedings in the alleged corruption trial of former OPEC President and ex–Nigerian Petroleum Minister, Diezani Alison-Madueke, were stalled on Monday at the Crown Court in Southwark due to technical difficulties.

A source in Court 4 told SaharaReporters that no substantive progress was made before Mrs Justice Thornton after prosecutors complained of the absence of internet access in the courtroom, a problem that prevented the case from moving forward.

The prosecution informed the court that its opening statement could not be delivered as scheduled and would instead be presented when the matter resumes on Tuesday.

Alison-Madueke, 65, who is standing trial alongside co-defendants, faces a five-count charge bordering on alleged corruption. 

She was seen arriving at and later leaving Court 4 dressed in blue trousers and using a walking stick.

“The prosecutor was heard stating this was due to there being ‘no internet in the court’. According to her, her opening statement will be delivered tomorrow (Tuesday),” the source said.

Die Abi

“The defendant, Ms Diezani Alison-Madueke, was seen entering and leaving Court 4 in blue trousers and using a walking stick.”

It was not immediately clear whether the walking aid was required for medical reasons or was merely a support prop, as no official clarification was provided in court.

Alison-Madueke was physically present in court last week as the process got underway, ahead of the full trial expected to hear extensive evidence.

Alison-Madueke, who served as Nigeria’s petroleum minister from 2010 to 2015 under the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan, is facing six counts of bribery connected to her time in office. She has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

Alison-Madueke holds a unique place in Nigeria’s political history, having been the country’s first female petroleum minister and the first woman to serve as president of OPEC.

Her tenure, however, has been dogged by multiple allegations of corruption, both locally and internationally, since she left office in 2015.

She was first arrested by British authorities in London in October 2015 as part of a major corruption investigation.

Since that arrest, Alison-Madueke has remained on bail while investigations continued, with the case drawing sustained attention due to its scale and the seniority of the individuals involved.

In 2023, the United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency (NCA) formally charged Alison-Madueke, accusing her of accepting bribes over a four-year period between 2011 and 2015, when she wielded significant influence over Nigeria’s oil sector, one of the most lucrative in Africa.

At the time of filing the charges, the NCA said: “We suspect Diezani Alison-Madueke abused her power in Nigeria and accepted financial rewards for awarding multi-million-pound contracts.”

Prosecutors allege that the former minister benefitted from at least £100,000 in cash, as well as a range of luxury advantages provided by individuals seeking favourable treatment in the awarding of oil-related contracts. 

These alleged benefits include chauffeur-driven vehicles, private jet flights, and the use of several high-end properties in London.

According to the charges, Alison-Madueke is also accused of receiving luxury furniture, funding for renovation works on properties, the services of household staff, and the payment of private school fees.

Prosecutors further claim she accepted expensive designer items, including gifts from luxury brands such as Louis Vuitton.

The prosecution is expected to argue that these benefits were provided as bribes in exchange for influence over oil contracts and strategic decisions within Nigeria’s petroleum sector, which controls billions of dollars in revenue annually.

The trial is scheduled to last between 10 and 12 weeks, during which the court is expected to hear testimony from multiple witnesses and examine financial records, property transactions, and other evidence linked to the alleged bribery scheme.

Two other defendants are also standing trial alongside Alison-Madueke. Doye Agama, who appeared before the court via video link, and Olatimbo Ayinde, who was physically present in court, are both facing bribery charges connected to the same case

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

FG Sues El-Rufai Over Alleged Interception of NSA Ribadu’s phone conversation

February 16, 2026

Judge Withdraws From Malami’s N213bn Asset Forfeiture Case

February 12, 2026

Appeal Court Upholds Senator Natasha’s suspension, Says Senate Acted Within Its Powers

February 10, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202442
Don't Miss
World
World By VardiafricaFebruary 18, 20263 Mins Read0

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

By VardiafricaFebruary 18, 20260 World Updated:February 18, 202603 Mins Read

The US presidential jet is getting a new paint design that will include one of…

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026

Remittance of 1% Nigerian Content Levy Still Mandatory – NCDMB

February 18, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: info@vardiafrica.com
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors

February 18, 2026

Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account

February 18, 2026

President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law

February 18, 2026
Most Popular

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.