Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

February 19, 2026

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 
  • Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power
  • NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy
  • ICPC Confirms Nasir El-rufai’s Arrest After His Release From EFCC Custody
  • Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Gov Fubara, Deputy
  • Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors
  • Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account
  • President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Legal»Alleged Terrorism: Kanu Declines To Enter Defence, Insists No Case Against Him
Legal

Alleged Terrorism: Kanu Declines To Enter Defence, Insists No Case Against Him

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaOctober 27, 2025No Comments4 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

The detained leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has abandoned his earlier plan to call witnesses in his defence in his ongoing trial for alleged terrorism offences.

Kanu told a Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday that he has realised that there was no valid charge against him and that evidence led so far have not established any case against him to require the he enter a defence.

The court had on October 24 adjourned till October 27 for Kanu to open his defence. Kanu had written the court, indicating his intention to call witnesses and applied for witness summons.

At the day’s hearing, Counsel for the Prosecution, Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) announced appearance, along with some other lawyers.

Kanu also announced his name and said he was representing himself, following which Awomolo reminded the court that the business of the day was for the defendant to open his defence.

Responding, Kanu stood up in the dock and said he had gone through the case files and found that there was actually no charge against him.

He argued that there is no extant law in the country on which the prosecution could premise its case, adding: “There is no case against me. If there is no case against me, it will be futile for me to enter any defence.”

At that point Justice James Omotosho intervened and took time to explain to the defendant that in a criminal trial, the defendant only has three options after the prosecution has closed its case.

Justice Omotosho said the first option was for the defendant to make a no-case submission and when overruled, the defendant is then required to enter a defence.

He said where a defendant chose not to open his/her defence or conduct any defence at all, such a defendant can decide to rest on the prosecution’s case, and then file a written address, to which the prosecution will be required to reply and the court delivers judgment.

After listening to the judge’s explanation, Kanu said: “my position is that there is no charge against me. There is no need for me to enter a defence. What I’m saying is that there is no case against me.”

The judge then reminded him that he had earlier ruled on Kanu’s no-case submission and held that he has a case to answer. The judge said that ruling still subsists.

Kanu then applied to the court for a week adjournment to enable him file a written address to support why he insisted that no valid charge was pending against him, arguing that he was subjective to needless trial and determination.

Responding, Awomolo said from what the defendant has said and the option he has taken, the court should adjourn for judgment.

Awomolo said: “I take it that the defendant said he is not putting in any defence, because there is no valid charge against him.

“I want to submit that this position is conclusive of the defendant’s defence. I know that he took a plea to counts against him and he pleaded not guilty.
We led evidence and he cross-examined our witnesses.

“Now that he said he has no defence, the case has been brought to a close,” Awomolo said and urged the court to adjourn for judgment right away.

Awomolo noted that at this stage, there is only one option for the defendant, adding that if he (Kanu) takes his objection as his defence, the prosecution will respond and the court will give its judgment subsequently.

The prosecuting lawyer said the option chosen by Kanu implies that he has opted to address the court on pont of law as his defence in the case.

In his intervention, Justice Omotosho noted that the defendant is not outrightly saying he has no defence, but that the charge against him cannot be.

He added: “That is also a defence. In that case, he will have to put that down in a written submission that will be served on the prosecution, who will also respond.”

The judge then proceeded to advise Kanu to consult experts before he decides on how to proceed henceforth.

Justice Omotosho said: “There is need for you (Kanu) to consult people, who are knowledgeable in criminal prosecution to advise you on how to proceed.

“I am begging you in the name of God Almighty, to consult properly. I am inclined to grant you the adjournment you seek.
I am inclined to give him the opportunity to consult those, who are knowledgeable in criminal law.

“I know you are educated, but you are not a lawyer, you need to consult experts in the field. Please make adequate consultation. This is not economics. This is criminal prosecution.

“Please, my brother, make adequate consultation. Criminal cases are not like every other cases. I took the opportunity to explain to the defendant because he is not a lawyer,” he said.

The judge added that he has a duty to explain to the defendant the consequences of his decision not to enter a defence.

Justice Omotosho said after Kanu sacked his lawyers, he had wanted to refer the case to the Legal Aid Council or any lawyer, who was willing to take the case pro bono, but the defendant refused and said he was going to defend himself.

“Even at that, I still have a duty to explain the consequences of his option to him because he is not a lawyer. Please, make consultation,” the judge said.

The judge then gave Kanu four days from Monday within which he should file his written address and serve on the prosecution to enable the prosecution file it’s reply.

He adjourned till November 4, 5 and 6 for either the adoption of the written addresses or for Kanu to open his defence should he chose to change his mind.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

FG Sues El-Rufai Over Alleged Interception of NSA Ribadu’s phone conversation

February 16, 2026

Judge Withdraws From Malami’s N213bn Asset Forfeiture Case

February 12, 2026

Appeal Court Upholds Senator Natasha’s suspension, Says Senate Acted Within Its Powers

February 10, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202442
Don't Miss
Government
Government By VardiafricaFebruary 19, 20262 Mins Read0

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

By VardiafricaFebruary 19, 20260 Government Updated:February 19, 202602 Mins Read

The federal government has announced that 30 per cent of the 2025 capital budget will…

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026

ICPC Confirms Nasir El-rufai’s Arrest After His Release From EFCC Custody

February 19, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: info@vardiafrica.com
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

February 19, 2026

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026
Most Popular

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.