Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

February 19, 2026

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 
  • Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power
  • NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy
  • ICPC Confirms Nasir El-rufai’s Arrest After His Release From EFCC Custody
  • Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Gov Fubara, Deputy
  • Air Force One to Be Repainted For the First Time in 50 Years in President Trump’s Preferred Colors
  • Tinubu Issues Executive Order To Safeguard Oil And Gas Revenues, Direct Payments To Federation Account
  • President Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2026 into law
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Legal»Alleged Money Laundering: Court declines Yahaya Bello’s travel request over unsigned medical report
Legal

Alleged Money Laundering: Court declines Yahaya Bello’s travel request over unsigned medical report

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaJuly 21, 2025Updated:July 21, 2025No Comments3 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Justice Emeka Nwite of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has turned down a request by the immediate past Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello, seeking the release of his international passport, saying that the medical report attached to the application was not signed by its maker.

Delivering the ruling, Justice Nwite, however, held that contrary to the submission of the prosecution team, the application was not an abuse of the court process.

The defendant had applied for the release of his travel document to enable him to travel to the United Kingdom for medical attention. 

The judge said counsel to the defendant argued that the applicant was a known hypertensive patient for about 15 years.

The lawyer, Joseph Daudu, SAN, was also said to have presented Exhibits A and B, which constituted an expert report on the health status of the applicant, saying that sufficient materials had been placed before the court to exercise its discretion in favour of the applicant

The judge also recalled that the prosecution team argued that the application was an abuse of the court process. 

While urging the court to dismiss the application, counsel to the prosecution noted that the reliefs sought were similar and that the motion was technically incompetent as the sureties to the defendant were not informed.

On the issue of suretyship, the court held that the matter before it was Yahaya Bello v. FRN, and not vs the sureties. 

The judge further aligned with the argument of the counsel to the defendant, ruling that the surety ought not to be included in the application.

“The counsel to the complainant did not cite any section of the law that says sureties should be given notice or made a party in the motion on notice,” he said.

“The counsel did not cite any law, whether locally or internationally, to back his argument. 

“On the abuse of process of court, it is the argument of the complainant that the instant application is incompetent and amounts to abuse of the court process.

“It is not in dispute that the applicant is standing trial before this court and FCT court and it is not in dispute that the applicant was granted bail in this court on December 13, 2024 and at FCT High Court on December 19, 2024.

“The FCT High Court, in its ruling, said that the applicant must seek the leave of the court. Hence, this instant application does not amount to abuse of the court process.”

Justice Nwite also stated that “It is also the fact that this court and the FCT High Court are courts of coordinate jurisdiction.”

The court, however, held that Exhibit B, which was the medical report provided by a doctor, was not signed by its maker, and as such, lacked any legal efficacy. 

The Court emphasised that an unsigned document carries no weight in law and is considered worthless. 

“In other words, Exhibit B is devoid of probative value and cannot be relied upon by the Court,” the judge held.

“The defendant has failed to place sufficient material before this court for his passport to be released for him to travel. Consequently, this application is hereby refused,” Justice Nwite said.

The case was, thereafter, adjourned to October 7 and 10 and November 10 and 11, 2025, for continuation of trial

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

FG Sues El-Rufai Over Alleged Interception of NSA Ribadu’s phone conversation

February 16, 2026

Judge Withdraws From Malami’s N213bn Asset Forfeiture Case

February 12, 2026

Appeal Court Upholds Senator Natasha’s suspension, Says Senate Acted Within Its Powers

February 10, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202442
Don't Miss
Government
Government By VardiafricaFebruary 19, 20262 Mins Read0

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

By VardiafricaFebruary 19, 20260 Government Updated:February 19, 202602 Mins Read

The federal government has announced that 30 per cent of the 2025 capital budget will…

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026

ICPC Confirms Nasir El-rufai’s Arrest After His Release From EFCC Custody

February 19, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: info@vardiafrica.com
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

FG to execute 30% of 2025 capital budget before November 2026 

February 19, 2026

Tinubu, German Chancellor To Collaborate On Security, Power

February 19, 2026

NCDMB and Senate Committee Launch Agribusiness Revolution to Diversify Niger Delta Economy

February 19, 2026
Most Popular

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202495

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202549

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 202543

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.