Close Menu
Vardiafrica
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

August 17, 2026

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Trending
  • EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m
  • NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’
  • NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos
  • NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy
  • NCAA to Automate Baggage Tracking to Eliminate Missing Luggage, Delays
  • Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC
  • President Tinubu congratulates Gov Adeleke, says victory reflects people’s will
  • FG Unveils Mechanization Policy, Targets 4,000 Tractors Annually
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
VardiafricaVardiafrica
Demo
  • Home
  • Politics
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Europe
    • US & Canada
    • World
  • Lifestyle
    • Entertainment
    • Film & Drama
    • Ent & Arts
  • Science
    • Health Science
    • Luxury
  • Finance
Vardiafrica
Home»Politics»World»Cristiano Ronaldo and FIFA president attend Trump’s dinner with Saudi crown prince
World

Cristiano Ronaldo and FIFA president attend Trump’s dinner with Saudi crown prince

VardiafricaBy VardiafricaNovember 19, 2025Updated:November 19, 2025No Comments11 Views
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn WhatsApp Reddit Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

Superstar footballer Cristiano Ronaldo attended a White House black-tie dinner alongside the de facto leader of Saudi Arabia on Tuesday night.

Speaking ahead of the event, US President Donald Trump said it was an “honour” to host Ronaldo, whose starring role in the Saudi football league has seen him become a face of the country’s modernisation drive.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman wants to reduce the country’s dependence on oil revenues by diversifying into other areas including sports and tourism.

A White House official confirmed earlier in the day that Ronaldo would attend, but did not say if he was part of bin Salman’s official delegation.

Many critics claim Saudi’s investment is aimed at gaining legitimacy and deflecting attention from its human rights record and the environmental impact of its oil industry – a practice referred to as ‘sportswashing’.

Trump used his speech at the dinner to praise closer ties with Saudi Arabia, labelling the country a “major non-Nato ally”. Earlier in the day, Trump hosted the Saudi crown prince in the Oval Office.

Turning to the Portuguese soccer star, Trump told the gathered guests: “My son is a big fan of Ronaldo”.

“And Barron (Trump) got to meet him, and I think he respects his father a little bit more now, just the fact that I introduced you.”

Also at the dinner was tech billionaire Elon Musk, who joined other influential business leaders including Apple CEO Tim Cook. It is the first time Musk has been to the White House since stepping down as the head of the Trump administration’s Department for Government Efficiency (Doge) in April.

A dramatic feud between Trump and the Tesla tycoon played out publicly for months, and included Musk announcing that he would set up a new political party.

Ronaldo’s attendance at the White House, meanwhile, marks one of his first known visits to the US since 2016.

In the interim he has faced an allegation of sexual assault. Kathryn Mayorga alleged that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009, which he denied.

“I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in,” he said in a statement in 2018.

In 2019, US prosecutors said Ronaldo would not face charges because the claims could not be proven.

It has been reported that the Portuguese and US national teams will play a friendly match in Atlanta in March 2026, ahead of the men’s World Cup, which will be hosted across North America in the same year – and will feature Portugal.

If the match is confirmed, and Ronaldo participates, it will be his first match in the US since 2014.

In early 2023, Ronaldo made the jump to Saudi Arabia when he became the face of the Saudi Pro League and captain of Al Nassr – the football club owned by sovereign wealth fund PIF which is chaired by the crown prince.

In an industry where players are paid extraordinary amounts of money, Ronaldo’s pay deal with Saudi Arabia was astronomical. The footballer was reportedly paid $200m (£152m) a year – or more than half a million dollars a day.

Then in June this year, he signed a new two-year deal for a reported total of $400m (£300m) and became football’s first billionaire player, according to Bloomberg, with a net worth of $1.4bn.

That’s a lot of money for a 40-year-old footballer in the twilight of his career.

But, according to Sanam Vakil, director of the Middle East and North Africa programme at Chatham House, Saudi Arabia has “invested heavily in high profile events and individuals to put the kingdom on the map” in terms of sports and tourism in its quest for modernism.

Ronaldo has referred to bin Salman as “our boss” in an interview with broadcaster Piers Morgan.

Earlier this month, he appeared at a Ministry of Tourism event in Riyadh where he talked up the kingdom’s development projects and his hopes for the 2034 World Cup being held in Saudi Arabia.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
Vardiafrica
  • Website
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • Instagram

Related Posts

Airtel and Elon Musk’s Starlink launch Africa’s first satellite-to-phone service in DRC

August 16, 2026

Nationals of 4 African countries in US face deportation risk as Trump ends temporary protection

August 16, 2026

China pledges N40bn grant for Devt projects in Nigeria

August 14, 2026

Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Trump set for White House return, vows to sign 100 Executive Orders in ‘Hours’ 

January 20, 202551
Don't Miss
Health
Health By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20262 Mins Read1

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

By VardiafricaAugust 17, 20261 Health Updated:August 17, 202602 Mins Read

The European Commission has released €2.3 million in emergency humanitarian funding to Nigeria, Cameroon, the…

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026

NDDC MD asks youths to use AI to drive Niger Delta’s shift from oil to digital economy

August 17, 2026
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

About Us
About Us

Your source for the verified news.

Email Us: [email protected]
Contact: +234 905 338 5856

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram YouTube WhatsApp
Our Picks

EU Releases €2.3m to Fight Cholera As Nigeria Gets €1.5m

August 17, 2026

NARD recommends 48-hour work week for resident doctors ‘to prevent burnout’

August 17, 2026

NDLEA destroys N301bn worth of cocaine, heroin, opioids, others in Lagos

August 17, 2026
Most Popular

Nigeria Takes Over G-24 Leadership, Pledges Push For Global Economic Reforms

October 15, 2025456

FG exempts SMEs, farmers, manufacturers from paying withholding tax

July 2, 202497

You rejected party structure’ – PDP knocks Fubara, says Rivers Gov, Bala Mohammed may face disciplinary action

October 15, 202453

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.